Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?

From: Peter
Subject: Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, September 17, 2012 1:14:18 PM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
> I'm trying to install w3m on my OS X system so I can read HTML
>
> messages
>
> with Wanderlust. I've managed to install el-get and, with that,
>
> Wanderlust. However, when I try to install emacs-w3m, I get errors
>
> that
>
> autoconf is not found:
>

> el-get is waiting for "/bin/bash" to complete
>
> emacs-w3m failed to install: (error el-get: /bin/bash el-get could not
>
> build emacs-w3m [/bin/bash -c autoconf]) [2 times]
>
> el-get-installation-failed: el-get: /bin/bash el-get could not build
>
> emacs-w3m [/bin/bash -c autoconf]

I did manage to get this resolved. Although 'which autoconf' worked in a normal
shell window, it did not work in emacs shell. I had set both the PATH
environment variable and the exec-path variable in emacs, but somehow, emacs
shell was using something else. Anyone know where that path comes from?

Anyway, I wound up creating a symlink to autoconf from /usr/sbin, which was on
the emacs shell path, and that worked.

I could have installed it manually, I suppose, but el-get really makes it easy
(usually) to install and manage different packages.

Thanks,
-pd