RE: line adjustment at the end of a sentence

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: line adjustment at the end of a sentence
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:12:51 +0000

The number of spaces between English sentences has been gradually switching
from two to one.  (The style guide I used in college certainly required two
spaces between sentences.  I wonder if newer style guides have changed to one
space between sentences.)  It's good that this is configurable in Emacs,
because I'm annoyed by the use of one space, as I feel it adds further
ambiguity to the written language where there is already more than enough
ambiguity to make understanding challenging.  Why are you annoyed by two spaces
between sentences?  I'd think one's eye would just skip right over the extra
space.

With 30+ years of EMACS/Emacs experience, and a love for two spaces between
sentences, I've always been impressed by the way it handles "Dr. Watson" and
similar uses of a single space that is not the end of a sentence.  I suppose my
love for this is because of the ease with which one can act on sentences in
Emacs.  I frequently use M-k (kill-sentence) in my comments in code (usually
when I want to reorder the sentences).

Cheers,
Mark