Re: visual line mode

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: visual line mode
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:56:40 -0600

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> While trying to find this or that recipe you requested, I found that effect:

I believe that effect is due to the basic incompatibility of tabs and
visual-line-mode.  Trying to position the cursor on any of the screen
whitespace of a tab expansion means that the cursor will be displayed
on the beginning of the tab whitespace.  In the proposed example this
causes the cursor to back up into the next line above skipping the
actual visual line.  And looks crazy.  If the line has tabs expanded
then the case is avoided.  I think.  At least for that case.

BTW add me to the list of people who does not like and cannot stand
visual-line-mode.  I understand it.  I don't like it.  It makes a
terrible default.

Bob