Re: Invalid tags table

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Invalid tags table
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:09:51 +0100

>> I have a tags table (etags format) that works before I load my init.el
>> file. After I load it, M-. (find-tag) gives me an error-message:
>>
>> visit-tags-table-buffer: File /my/dir/TAGS is not a valid
>> tags table.

> 2. `M-x debug-on-entry visit-tags-table-buffer', then step through the
> debugger looking for what goes wrong: what it expects to see in the
> file vs what it thinks it really does see.

I tried this first, since I have quite a lot of customisation files.

That was a great tip, I wasn't even aware of this option, and it helped
me to figure out quickly that (file-exists-p) returned 'nil' on my tags
file, and the reason was actually trivial: a surprising uppercase L in a
directory-name I overlooked, so I mispelled the path in customizable
variable 'tags-table-list'.

Now it works. Thanks a lot.

--
cheers,