Re: Emacs keyboard

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Emacs keyboard
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 03:27:27 -0500

"B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

> Hey Emacsers:
>
> Does any of you know of a keyboard still in production that has
> dedicated keys for both alt and meta keys? (two of each, one right and
> one left). If such a thing were to exist could Emacs use all of the mod
> keys (shift, ctl, meta, super, hyper, alt)? The os could sense all of
> these depressed at once but it's pretty difficult to accomplish
> ergonomically. Four of these (two on each side) could be latched (made
> sticky in hardware) and then be unlatched by being pressed again or
> combined with an alpha key in a succeeding keychord. For example, after
> C-h k and then pressing a bunch of mod keys I get:
>
> C-H-M-S-s-a is undefined
>
> I think this is the limit on usb keyboards (6 key rollover). Would Emacs
> sense and allow binding to the A-C-H-M-S-s-a keychord if the hardware
> allowed it? (ps2).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

Yes, with one caveat: the Alt modifier in Emacs is usually used as a
so-called "dead key" for input of various accented characters etc.,
often with a meaning for both the shifted and unshifted version of the
key.  So it'd probably map to C-H-M-s-[funky symbol]. :)

It'd be cool if you bound C-H-M-s-£ to something.

--
WGG
I use grml (http://grml.org/)