RE: migrating from ido to icicles

From: Jeff Weiss
Subject: RE: migrating from ido to icicles
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:11:56 -0500

>> > Actually, `M-TAB' does what you want here only because it
>
> I meant `M-SPC', the same as what you mentioned; sorry.
>
>> > does "word" completion, which also moves the cursor to the
>> > end of the completion.  It is that cursor movement that
>> > switches from cycling back to completing.
>>
>> "M-TAB (translated from <M-tab>) runs the command
>> complete-symbol, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
>> function in `bindings.el'."
>>
>> "M-SPC runs the command icicle-prefix-word-complete, which is an
>> interactive compiled Lisp function in `icicles-mcmd.el'."
>
> Yes, I meant `M-SPC'.
>
>> What happens for me is, if I hit M-TAB,...
>
> It tries to complete your input as a symbol name.
>
>> This is different than what either M-SPC or C-e does, they both appear
>> to only change the default-directory and the candidates, no candidate
>> shows in the minibuffer.  That's what I want.
>
> Yep.  Sorry about the typo & confusion.
>
>> I like the behavior of M-SPC or C-e but I prefer to use M-TAB
>> key to get that behavior.  Should I just rebind it?
>
> Sure.  But you will likely find at some point that you want a key (some key)
> complete symbol names (e.g. Lisp symbols, when you use `M-:').  `M-TAB' is the
> key for this in general in Emacs.

I was able to successfully bind M-SPC to icicle-prefix-word-complete by
customizing icicle-word-completion-keys.

However the docs for icicle-word-completion-keys suggest that I can also
bind SPC if I wanted.  That actually sounds better because I can't
remember the last time I tried to complete a filename with a space in
it. But no matter what I put in that field, SPC wouldn't trigger
icicle-prefix-word-complete, it was still bound to icicle-self-insert.

Is there some magic lisp expression for this?  Or is there some other
reason the binding doesn't work?

There's one other odd behavior I've been noticing.  Even though I have
icicle-expand-input-to-common-match-flag set to 1 (only expand when
using tab or s-tab), I am finding that I do get input inserted for me as
I'm trying to type, and it ends up mixing my input with its own,
resulting in bad input in the minibuffer.

For example, if the directory I'm completing in has 3 files,

fop fob bar

if I quickly type 'fo' what appears in the minibuffer is 'foo'.  I think
that's because it's trying to expand the common match, since all the
files that have 'f' also have 'fo'.

-Jeff