Re: Display of no break spaces

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Display of no break spaces
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 17:22:54 +0100

Am 03.01.2013 um 14:16 schrieb Pascal Quesseveur:

> I don't understand why the no break space is displayed using link
> face.

Because it's fontified with that property.

> What can I do to change the way it is displayed?

Use a plain text buffer to get rid of fontification or switch that off (launch
GNU Emacs with -Q)! You can also switch to a font that has U+00A0 defined or
create a fontset in which this character is defined as coming from a font with
NO-BREAK SPACE.

I get, for example, in X11:

                     position: 206 of 6832 (3%), column: 0
                    character:   (displayed as  ) (codepoint 160, #o240, #xa0)
            preferred charset: iso-8859-1 (Latin-1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1))
        code point in charset: 0xA0
                       syntax: .        which means: punctuation
                     category: .:Base, b:Arabic, j:Japanese, l:Latin
                  buffer code: #xC2 #xA0
                    file code: #xA0 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-unix)
                      display: by this font (glyph code)
            xft:-b&h-Lucida Sans
Typewriter-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#xAC)
               hardcoded face: nobreak-space

        Character code properties: customize what to show
          name: NO-BREAK SPACE
          old-name: NON-BREAKING SPACE
          general-category: Zs (Separator, Space)
          decomposition: (noBreak 32) (noBreak ' ')

        There are text properties here:
          charset              iso-8859-1

--
Greetings

  Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have, for
instance.
                                – Franklin P. Jones