Re: About self-referential object

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: About self-referential object
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 08:24:39 +0800

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:47:42 -0800
"Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> The Elisp manual is your friend.  There are no doubt several ways to look this
> up.  Start with `i' usually, which uses the indexes.
I've used
> If you don't find what you want using `i' then try searching: `C-s #0' finds
> an
> answer immediately in this case, in node `Output Function'.
Sorry for not mentioning my preparation for this question(and other questions).
Before I ask a question, I usually try these methods:
1. Search the archives of comp.emacs and gnu.emacs.help.
2. Search on the web.
3. Use `icicle-Info-index'.
4. Use `icicle-search' on the manuals flattened with    `Info-merge-subnodes'.
5. Search the Emacs FAQ.
6. Read the source code(but I'm not an Emacs Lisp guru).

I had found it in (info "(elisp) Output Functions"), it says:
Emacs detects such recursion and prints `#LEVEL' instead of recursively
printing an object already being printed.  For example, here `#0' indicates a
recursive reference to the object at level 0 of the current print operation.

But I don't understand.  What does `object at level 0 of the current print
operation' mean?

> If you can find what you want by means other than using the indexes (`i'),
> consider reporting an Emacs bug to improve the index, explaining how you tried
> to find it.
Thanks for your advice.  I'll do that the next time.
--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao