Re: Installing emacs binaries in non-standard location

From: koolpkr
Subject: Re: Installing emacs binaries in non-standard location
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:31:48 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, September 10, 2010 11:39:45 AM UTC-5, Derek wrote:
> Hopefully this will help someone else.I was given access to a bunch of AIX(6)
> boxes at work that didn't have emacs and didn't have a compiler so I couldn't
> build emacs fromsource. I was able to find some binary RPM's for AIX
> athttp://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/rpmgroups.html
>  I used* emacs-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm * emacs-el-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm*
> emacs-leim-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm * emacs-nox-21.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpmOf course I
> couldn't install the rpms because I am a non-root user, so I extracted the
> files from the rpms using rpm2cpio like sorpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio
> -idmvI actually extracted them on a linux box because I didn't have rpm2cpio
> on the AIX box.Once they were extracted, I tarred everything up and moved it
> to a directory on the AIX box that I had permissions to. I then tried to run
> "emacs-nox."It wouldn't run because these were binary packages and the
> standard locations of the files were "built" into the binaries. It was
> looking for the standard files at/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/.......I was
> getting the following errorsWarning: arch-dependent data dir
> (/opt/freeware/lib/emacs/21.3/powerpc- ibm-aix5.1.0.0/) does not exis\t.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp' does not
> exist. Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not
> exist. Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/leim' does not
> exist. Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/lisp' does not
> exist.but of course I didn't have permission to install it there as a non-
> root user. I had installed it in/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/.... After
> some searching, I found that I could set some environment variables to
> override the default locations of the files. Here are the variables I
> set.EMACSLOADPATH=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/lisp
> EMACS_DIR=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3
> EMACSDATA=/home/myuser/emacs/opt/freeware/share/emacs/21.3/etcand exported
> themexport EMACSLOADPATH EMACS_DIR EMACSDATAI could then successfully start
> emacs-nox on the AIX boxes. AhhhhhhHope this helps someone else avoid a slow
> painful death by vi.

Hi Derek, this is really cool post, it has helped me immensly for setting up
emacs on my AIX development environment. Thank you so much for sharing this
information. I would just like to add I extacted .rpm files using 7-zip on
windows platform, but result is same which is "Running emacs successfully".