Select Tags Table in a Single Buffer

From: Josiah Schwab
Subject: Select Tags Table in a Single Buffer
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:18:41 -0800

Hi All,

I want to select the tags table in a single buffer in a way such that
there is no effect on any other buffers.

The motivation for this is that I am writing simple buffer-local
minor-mode.  As part of it, I want to have a specific tags file
loaded/unloaded when the minor-mode is toggled (on/off).

I'm not particularly experienced with either elisp or tags, but I read
the Emacs tags documentation and looked at etags.el (in v24.2).

At first blush, it seemed like this would be straightforward by using
the local argument to visit-tags-table.

(visit-tags-table my-tags-file-name t)

Indeed, this sets a buffer-local value of tags-file-name.  However,
tags-table-list is global, so the behavior of tags in all other
buffers is affected by this action.

Is anyone aware of a way to achieve the (lack of) effect that I was
hoping to have?

Best,
Josiah