Re: How to get the script name symbols of a specific character?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: How to get the script name symbols of a specific character?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:27:28 +0530

YE Qianchuan <stool.ye@gmail.com> writes:

> On 02/11/2013 07:34 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> Put your cursor on the box and type
>>          C-u C-x =
> In fact, it's the same as `describe-char'. This command invokes
> `what-cursor-position', which invokes `describe-char' eventually.
>>
>> It will give more useful pointers.  The codepoint of a particular
>> character.  The name of the character, in the example below is prefixed
>> by the script it comes from etc.
> Cool, I didn't notice its name may be prefixed by its script. It does
> make a lot sense.
>
> However sadly, not all characters do so. For example, a CJK character
> has prefix CJK.
> But cjk is not a script name (though there's a script called cjk-misc)
> and it should belong
> to `han'.
>
> What's worse is, some characters don't show their names at all, even
> if I assign a font to it.
>
> For example:
>              position: 806 of 1031 (78%), column: 1
>             character: 😀 (displayed as 😀) (codepoint 128512, #o373000,
> #x1f600)
>     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> code point in charset: 0x1F600
>                syntax: w     which means: word
>              category: L:Left-to-right (strong)
>           buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x98 #x80
>             file code: #xF0 #x9F #x98 #x80 (encoded by coding system
> utf-8-unix)
>               display: no font available
>
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   general-category: Cn (Other, Not Assigned)
>   decomposition: (128512) ('😀')

This is what I get.  Emacs reports that it is a GRINNING FACE.

I run Emacs from trunk though.  I am not sure this makes any actuall
difference.

I think it would be useful to have one browse different Unicode Blocks
or have C-u C-x = report the block name of a character.  I am just going
by what the below mentioned Wikipedia article suggests.

,---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_block
| U+1F600..U+1F64F      Emoticons       80      1 SMP   Common
`----

             position: 1706 of 2799 (61%), column: 28
            character: 😀 (displayed as 😀) (codepoint 128512, #o373000, #x1f600)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1F600
               syntax: w        which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x98 #x80
            file code: not encodable by coding system undecided-unix
              display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: GRINNING FACE
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (128512) ('😀')