Re: OT w/ misunderstanding Re: creating a sub-menu

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: OT w/ misunderstanding Re: creating a sub-menu
Date: 12 Mar 2013 18:14:27 GMT

ken wrote:
>> I've been posting from two different computers, which may the the cause.
>
> That by itself couldn't be the actual cause, not even should you be
> using different email programs on those two computers.  If you click
> "Reply"-- or for this particular list, "Reply All"-- the email program
> should maintain the threading of the conversation automatically for you
> (well, for all of us actually), regardless of which computer you do it
> on, regardless where on the internet those computers reside, etc.  This
> has been standard in email applications for a very long time.

Well, I'm not actually *using* an email application. I'm reading this as
gnu.emacs.help.

> in short, just click "Reply All" and everything should work fine.

Alas, since I'm using a CLI client (slrn), I don't have a "reply all"
button. But in a news client, such a button wouldn't make much sense
anyway: any reply is a reply to all, that's what Usenet is all about.

FWIW, slrn displays all posts as one single thread, so from my point of
view, it's Thunderbird that's having trouble keeping the thread
together. (That may or may not be true, I don't know; it's just how it
looks on my end of the line.)

> No need to apologize.  We're having a technical discussion, not a
> personal one.  It would help quite a bit in this regard though if, when
> you abridge the email you are replying to, the technical part of the
> discussion were not edited out.  Otherwise we're hearing the sound of
> one hand clapping.  If there's any doubt as to what's relevant, it would
> then be best just to leave the entirety of the quoted material intact.

The context is always there in the thread, so I generally cut all
details and leave enough so that the quoted text provides a summary of
what has been said. Of course it's always possible I snipped too much,
but generally I'm annoyed by messages where the first non-quoted text is
below the bottom of my screen when I open them... And since the
context is generally just a few keystrokes away (for me, anyway), I tend
to think that less is more.

> Also, regarding "the answer", see my reply to Steve.

Yeah, I read it. If I find some time, I might look into it a bit more,
but that probably won't be today or tomorrow...

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)