Re: Loading .el file

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Loading .el file
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:12:32 +0100

Am 25.03.2013 08:23, schrieb Dennis Stello:
Hi,

I have been trying to load a custom .el file in emacs to add some personal
functionalities when I run emacs.
The file is called mesa-minor-mode.el and is attach here for completeness.  I
have saved it in my ~/emacslisp/ and after a few unsuccesful attempts to get it
working I also
saved it in ~/.emacs.d/ just to be sure emacs was not being sensitive to where
the file was.

I run emacs version: GNU 21.4.1 x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu.
[ ... ]
I also tried to replace tilde in the above attempts with the full path but
still no luck.  Also replacing emacslisp with .emacs.d, as well as incl and
removing '/' at the
end of paths was tested.

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

seems something went wrong fundamentally.

A file-format with ending "el." for Emacs Lisp  is not a XML-File as attached.

Your XML-attachement points at the net, at github.

The minor mode you are looking for seems to exist at

https://github.com/jschwab/mesa-minor-mode/blob/master/mesa-minor-mode.el

Remains to download it at your machine and write into you .emacs for example
something like

(load "MY_LOCAL_PATH_/mesa-minor-mode.el")

Certainly it should be possible to fetch code from the net on the fly if needed.

HTH,

Andreas