Re: help with sftp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: help with sftp
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:21:09 +0300

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 05:29:32 -0700 (PDT)
> From: olastro@gmail.com
>
> I've tried all. But of course not the solution.
>
> I'm trying to use sftp in this installation
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
>
> - tried to make ssh keys (cant find a proper 'ls' command)
> - tried with cygwin ("ssh_askpass" could not be found)
> - mappes server as drive with ExpanDrive (cant reach directories outside
> home-dir)
>

> Anyone out there with a plain explanation of how to do things? Would be great
> if its from scratch, seems like I need the teaspoon method.
>
> GOAL:
> connect to an server (actually two different) with SFTP and edit files. As
> simple as that.

Start by installing PuTTY, which includes psftp.exe.

Then use puttygen.exe from the PuTTY package to generate keys.  The
procedure is explained in detail in the PuTTY Help, under "Using
public keys for SSH authentication".  When you have the keys, you will
need to configure the servers to accept your public key -- this is
also described in the PuTTY Help.

Then configure PuTTY for connecting to both servers, by logging once
into each one of the servers with putty and answering YES to PuTTY's
question of whether to accept the server's host key.

Thereafter, you should be able to use psftp via Tramp.  It is
advisable to launch Pageant (part of PuTTY) when your computer starts,
and add your key(s) to it, so that all the authentications after that
will be automatic and won't ask you to type your passphrase for each
login.