Re: Tramp and ssh control path

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and ssh control path
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:08:54 +0200

> Hmm.. I think the issue is as follows: if ControlPersist is no, then the
> "old-style" control-master is used (i.e. the first session acts as
> master), whereas otherwise, the new style (i.e. the master is a process
> separate from the session processes, so the first session is not
> special).
>
> If the user has set ControlMaster in his ssh config but with
> ControlPersist=no, then we might not want to use his control-master, and
> Tramp is right to fiddle with ControlPath.
>
> But if the user has ControlPersist enabled in his ssh config, then the
> best value for tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options will usually be "".

Well, I have changed the last sentences of the FAQ entry:

     If your 'ssh' version supports the 'ControlPersist' option, you
     could customize the variable 'tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options' to
     use your 'ControlPath', for example:

          (setq tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options
                (concat
                  "-o ControlPath=/tmp/ssh-ControlPath-%%r@%%h:%%p "
                  "-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=yes"))

     Note, that "%r", "%h" and "%p" must be encoded as "%%r", "%%h" and
     "%%p", respectively.  The entries of 'ControlPath', 'ControlMaster'
     and 'ControlPersist' can be removed from this setting, if they are
     configured properly in your '~/.ssh/config':

          (setq tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options "")

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.