Re: Using `ignore`

From: Steven Degutis
Subject: Re: Using `ignore`
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:33:30 -0500

Yep, and I've got (setq ring-bell-function 'ignore)

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 7bit, charset: ISO-8859-1, 11 lines --]

> Just in case anyone was wondering how to use the function ignore, emacs
> gave me this helpful tip today:

> "You can run the command `ignore' with <mouse-movement>"

> Yep, that's it. A lot easier than M-x ignore.

> :)

Don't knock `ignore'.  It's an incredibly useful and versatile command.
I've got it bound to C-c C-g, C-x C-g, C-x 4 C-g, etc., so I can cancel
with C-g "in the middle of a key sequence".

It's also useful for dumping out variable values; in the middle of a
defun, you can insert

    (ignore foo bar baz)

, and then do M-x trace-function-background <CR> ignore <CR>.  This is a
useful trick for places edebug can't reach.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).