Temporary code folding for navigation

From: Illya Bomash
Subject: Temporary code folding for navigation
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:39:26 -0400

Hi everyone,

When I use org-mode, I really like org-goto: it puts me in a temporary buffer that has an overview of my file (with all the details folded away), thereby showing me the structure of the file at a glance, and lets me easily get to a particular place, using simple keys for navigation or using isearch within this temporary buffer.

I’d love to have something similar for source code, e.g. Python files:

Press a key to temporarily put me in a buffer with only the outline of my code;
Put me in a mode where I can use single keystrokes to navigate to the different locations in my code.

Do you know of any existing modes or packages that work this way?

There are a few code-outline modes that exist, but I don’t want this on the screen all the time…only when I want to jump someplace new. Hideshow is close, but it’s not meant as a “temporary” mode, and it doesn’t do anything to make navigation easier.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Best,
Illya