Re: Standardize tab width variables across major modes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Standardize tab width variables across major modes
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 19:46:09 -0400

> Many Emacs modes seem to obey tab-width, e.g. (setq-default tab-width 2).
> But a few modes define their own variables for this:

You then go on to describe something else than tab-width (which is the
display size of a TAB character in the buffer), namely the size of the
default indentation step.

Those two things are very different.

The default indentation step depends on the indentation style, which
tend to vary between languages (even for a single individual).

This said, I agree that we should try and standardize the "default
indentation step" variable used by the various major modes.

`smie-indent-basic' was kind of meant to be this, but it's pretty
difficult to combine the need to obey the old variable's name.

        Stefan