Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 07:46:56 +0200

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

>     That's rather the other way you should ask: what's the use case
>     of usingĀ a bitmap _graphic_ screen to edit _text_?
>

> Because then my syntax highlighting and color theme has access to
> some several million colors, not just 256. This, plus viewing it on a
> retina display, and suddenly the text I stare at all day looks quite
> beautiful.

That said, instead of complaining about terminal UI in emacs, you could
consider developing a CoreAnimation UI for emacs.  If you can display
emacs windows nicer than SublimeText or Light Table, everybody'll be
happy.  But that'll just be yet another display engine for emacs.  This
won't change fundamentally the fact that it works mostly with text.