Re: How to disable fancy completion in minibuffer ?

From: Damien Wyart
Subject: Re: How to disable fancy completion in minibuffer ?
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 14:50:06 +0200

* "Alexandre Oberlin" <email_through@migo.info> in gnu.emacs.help:
> [...]
> I have been enduring the new smart minibuffer completion for a while
> and now I just won't take it any more. The recent versions of emacs
> complete the minibuffer strings in a way that is just not for me. If
> I type a "z" as first character, I want the "zap" or "zen" completion
> choice, not "buzz" nor "paz". If there is no completion beginning with
> z, I want nothing. Period.

Strange, this looks like you have the substring completion style
enabled, which is normally not done by default. Maybe some additional
packages have done this for you?

Can you use C-h v completion-styles to check?

The default value is (basic partial-completion emacs22), and you can
read some explanations here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Completion-Styles.html
Reverting to the default value should bring you back to what you would
like.

You might also want to have a look at icicles, which is targeted at
customizing and enhancing minibuffer completion:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles

--
DW