Re: GNU Dismal is looking for a maintainer

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: GNU Dismal is looking for a maintainer
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 19:28:03 +0200

Hi Sebastien,

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:
> It is difficult to understand what it really does without installing it and
> playing with it, as there is no video of what it does, but I'm wondering: is
> it close to what Org mode offers with its table (and formulas)?  Should they
> somehow be merged?

I admittedly have very little experience with Dismal and very little
with the spreadsheet functionality of Org-Mode.  It is possible that the
spreadsheet functionality of Org-Mode has superceded that of Dismal.  As
for whether or not it can be merged with Org Mode (or with SES, the
other Emacs spreadsheet) depends largely on the internal structure of
the different modes.

If Dismal has been made largely redundant, then we might consider
retiring it.  If there remains some promise in its features, then it's
worth reviving!

I've just installed it and played with it a bit.  From what I can see,
it does support all the standard features one expects from a spreadsheet
(formulas, etc), as well as some of the features seen in Org-mode such
as timestamps.  It might need some work to get it functioning properly
with the latest Emacs releases though.

Cheers,
Brandon