Re: WoMan generates different result from man?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: WoMan generates different result from man?
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 03:57:29 +0200

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using WoMan since the default `evil-lookup-func' in
> Evil-mode (well, I am not a true Emacser) is woman, and when I
>
>  (setq evil-lookup-func #'woman)
>
> It doesn't work as expected and I would not spend too much to
> configure it right.

Evil-mode? Haha, what is that?

I just hit `M-x man', what does that get you?

> Another concern is that while using `man' in emacs(which
> actually call external program `man'), there seems a delay when
> I would get a relatively big man page (such as `gcc'; I know I
> should switch to info' in this sense, but I am so customed to
> man in Vim...).

Again, there is nothing wrong with browsing the man pages in
Emacs, on the contrary. From where did you get that idea?

But, now that you say it, `M-x man RET gcc RET' takes a couple of
seconds in Emacs, but not so with man (the shell pager). But 1)
gcc is a very big manpage, and 2) you don't bring it up every day,
and you don't do it repeatedly. If you get stressed out over that,
perhaps you should program yourself, and not computers :)
Seriously, it depends what computer you have, of course. I have an
old laptop and for me that short-seconds pause is very
endurable. But yes - it is interesting that the Emacs mode is that
much slower than the shell tool.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573