Re: Display the key bindings on the screen

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Display the key bindings on the screen
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:22:31 +0200

Hello,

marc tfardy wrote:
> Am 24.06.13 18:30, schrieb Rustom Mody:
>>>
>>> You may want to try
>>>
>>>    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractionLogMode
>>
>> I tried this and could only get a blank buffer, whatever I tried.
>
> Unfortunately, the same here - I didn't get it running. Always empty "*Emacs
> Log*" buffer. But CommandLog has worked. However, there is still potential for
> improvement. E.g. copy-to-register prints only C-x r s -
> the register letter is missing. I think fixing this problem could be very
> difficult.

I just used it with success, under Emacs 24.3.50.1.

Very, very, very nice, even if I'd suggest 3 small (?) improvements:

- having the same keys not repeated in sequence over separate lines (try to
  write, for example, "Down 47 times").

- respect `ilog-log-max' as soon as the limit is exceeded (for example, after
  10 keystrokes), instead after some apparent idle time.

- remove the name of the buffer where things occur -- it makes it (much, with
  long buffer names) harder to read, while looking at the screencast (if used
  for that) gives all the needed information about where keys are pressed.

- don't write `self-insert-command': useless to read, for such cases, that the
  key pressed had no special effect other than inserting itself. I would
  possibly allow the user to be able to customize whether he wants to see the
  command for the other cases, but that's really helpful, in many cases (a
  great functionality).

Thanks a lot, Michael!  A great package!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban