Re: a) What ways can Meta be put in a command?... b) What's the differen

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: a) What ways can Meta be put in a command?... b) What's the difference between Esc-x and M-x
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 20:17:13 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> ... for the typist, it was pretty much the same UX.

What is all this "typist" talk? What is a touch typist?

I take pride in my typing skills, and my experience is that that
is sort of unusual even for computer people. A lot of people that
I met, that had comparable computer skills to me, really couldn't
type at all - they could, but slow and with lots of mistakes. And
this didn't seem to bother them at all!

Also, I always encourage people that uses the Swedish keyboard
layout to switch the the US, because then you have much faster
access to the brackets, semicolon, and more, that you need when
you program. To this, people often say "I don't care" or something
similar - wait - you don't care how you type, and this is what you
do all day long?

I think coding is nowadays almost as much a physical thing than it
is analytic. And 90% of my configuration work has been related
to this. For example, I have put hours of getting all my shortcuts
to be in the 'A' to 'F' and 'J' to ';' areas of the keyboard, so I
never have to reach. Scrolling D and F, navigation J, I, K and L,
and so on. Here is an example:

http://superuser.com/a/610507/106960

Also, in Emacs-w3m, I switch tabs with J and K - instead of the
default (hold tight!) C-c C-p and C-c C-n - especially in
Emacs-w3m, where there is no typing, the whole keyboard is
available for shortcuts - why do they use such long sequences?!

What's going on on? Am I normal? :)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573