Re: using emacs with nx

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: using emacs with nx
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:24:11 +0200

Am 30.07.2013 um 04:28 schrieb Harry Putnam:

> Another way that comes to mind is to run the command:
>
> M-x set-default-font <ENTER>

This is a bit out of sorts. The *Completions* buffer only lists a few thousand
fonts served by the X server (i.e., XLFD format). Not one from libfontconfig is
among them. IOW, the list contains mostly bitmapped fonts. This was OK and
helpful last millennium. (OK, I also used it early this one, because there were
no other means available.)

The GNU Emacs versions for non-X11 windowing systems seem to do a better job.
At least my two Mac OS X variants (NS and AppKit) list the system's fonts – but
in XLFD notation. Both have a simpler interface via S-mouse-1 which opens the
system's standard dialog to choose a font. (Which does not have n XLFD name.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organisation.