Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Emacs history, and "Is Emacs difficult to learn?"
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:08:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:12:45 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> It goes even further back: assembly is better than raw machine code
> because it doesn't let you see the raw byte encoding of your
> instructions (which prevents you from jumping in the middle of an
> instruction, even though that can be useful when trying to shave off
> a few bytes).

Not sure how to parse that:

a. If you are saying having access to the encoding of instructions can
sometimes help one to choose more intelligently than a software like an
assembler, yeah along with clock-counting, Ive enjoyed that passtime.

b. If you are saying jumping into the middle of an instruction can be useful,
well I confess this is beyond my ken.  For one I believe that in assembly alone
with arithmetic on the location-counter that should be possible.  On the other
hand I dont know how to do that without getting into undefined instruction
issues.