Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:31:55 +0200

> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:32:50 AM UTC+5:30, Jay Cotton wrote:
>>> I've always wished list-buffers used my current window when it listed my
>>> buffers. I don't know why, but this rubbed me the wrong way immediately
>>> when
>>> I learned the command, and I've never been able to shake it.
>>
>> Does this work?
>>
>> (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*")
>
> Hey I was just thinking something similar about the *Help* buffer: I
> often look up docs for functions and variables, and then end up
> TAB-bing to the source file link and hitting return to see the
> definition.

same thing here

> I like that the *Help* buffer itself opens a new window, but once I've
> got that new window I want the source file in question to re-use it,
> rather than going back and clobbering the window I was in.

I like the fact that the help buffer opens in another window, but I
would like to be able to "remote-control" it from the source buffer
where I called C-h f or C-h v or so.

With point remaining in the source buffer, I can scroll up and down the
help buffer, but I would like to have commands like

 1. help-kill-buffer-and-go-back-to-original-window-config

 2. help-go-to-source (i.e. first link in help buffer)

 3. help-back-to-original-window-config (without killing the help buffer ->
  winner-undo might do this job)

 4. help-restore-window-config (winner-redo or winner-undo might do the
 job. go back to the window-config that resulted after the help call,
 e.g. after visiting one or more source-files)

 5. help-select-links (with-ido or so, i.e. collect all the links -
 except to the source file - in the help buffer in an alist and use that
 collection for quick selection in the mini-buffer.

All this should be done remotely without a need to switch to the help
buffer. C-h f and C-h v are such frequent commands that avoiding the
switching of windows and maybe TAB-ing involved when using Emacs help
functionality would be a real improvement - IMO.

--
cheers,
Thorsten