Re: disable save hook temporarily

From: wempwer
Subject: Re: disable save hook temporarily
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:32:16 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:22:23AM -0400, Tim Visher wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM,  <wempwer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have plenty of stuff put in my C-mode save hook such as untabify,
> > remove trailing whitespaces, add a new line at the end etc. It's good
> > but sometimes I receive code from someone, need to do some changes in
> > it and send it back or just contribute to a larger project that
> > already has their own set of rules I don't want to break. The other
> > thing is that sometimes, especially in very big files it can take a
> > substantial amount of time to parse the whole buffer and execute save
> > hook. So my question is, what is the fastest and the most convenient
> > way to disable c save hook temporarily or how do you handle these
> > things? One idea that came to mind is to store all my code in a
> > specified directory such as ~/c and execute my save hook only for
> > files in this directory and don't call the hook for files in other
> > directories.
>
> This is untested, but maybe putting
>
>     ((c-mode . ((before-save-hook . nil))))
>
> in the `.dir-locals.el` file of the project would do the trick?

This concept is quite similar to my idea but instead of putting all .c
files I want to be processed by save hook into one directory and
running a hook that checks if a particular file actually is in a given
directory you suggest to put `.dir-locals.el' file in every single
directory with .c files. Seems quite error-prone and tiring.

> One potential direction is to try and use something similar to
> highlight-changes, not to highlight the changes, but to keep track
> of them and then only apply those "normalization functions" on the
> parts of the buffer you've actually modified.

I don't think this is what I am looking for. The problem is I don't to
run *any* save hooks on most files but only on selected ones, these
ones that belong to me or ones that I am sure about coding rules.

ATM I start to think that save hooks should be disabled by default and
activated manually. Otherwise there is no benefit from them - why
would I need to, let's say, change all tabs to spaces in a project I
touched for the first time or was given by e-mail and need to send
back?

--
<wempwer@gmail.com>