Re: making curly apostrophe part of a word

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: making curly apostrophe part of a word
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:38:48 +0800

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/6/13 4:37 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>>> `forward-word' fails... Hang on, I'll do the emacs -Q dance and see
>>> what's going on. This was originally in an html-mode buffer, but I don't
>>> see why that would matter as long as no third argument was passed to
>>> `modify-syntax-entry'.
>>
>> It affects the current buffer only, not the mode in other buffers when done
>> that
>> way - maybe that's it?
>
> Not according to its doc string:
>
>       The syntax is changed only for table SYNTAX-TABLE, which defaults to
>        the current buffer's syntax table.
>
> Different buffers in the same major mode usually share the same syntax table.

Ugh, this is very weird. I started emacs -Q (emacs-version "24.3.1"),
went into an empty buffer and turned it into text mode, then put in
these lines:

can’t

bug&bear

bug©bear

All three of "’", "&", and "©" originally act as word boundaries:
invoking M-f from the front of the word and M-b from the back stops once
_before_ the symbol. The next invocation goes to the next whitespace.

Then for each of those three symbols I call (modify-syntax-entry ?[char]
"w"). Now "&" and "©" behave as expected: M-f and M-b jump all the way
across.

But "’" is different: after modifying its syntax, word-movement commands
stop _twice_, once on each side of the character, before moving to the
other end of the word.

I wonder if I've somehow added "w" to its existing syntax definition,
without "clearing" the existing definition, and that's why it's behaving
strangely?

No idea,