Saving "relative point" in a paragraph or line

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Saving "relative point" in a paragraph or line
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:06:05 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to write a few wrappers for transpose functions.  I would
like to restore the point to the relative position of the element I am
trying to transpose.  Are there any standard ways/functions people use
for something like this?

An example (cursor at -!-):

- Lorem ipsum dolor -!- sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
- Vestibulum porttitor metus sed est varius, id dapibus est rhoncus.

- Vestibulum porttitor metus sed est varius, id dapibus est rhoncus.
- Lorem ipsum dolor -!- sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu