Re: How to run an awk command on file in emacs - using minGW on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to run an awk command on file in emacs - using minGW on Windows
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:20:19 +0300

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:41:07 +0100
> From: Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com>
>
> > Try this:
> >
> >   awk ' /Sam/' test.txt
> >
> > i.e. an extra blank before the first slash.
> >

> *** The extra space fixes it.  That is not obvious.

Of course, it's not obvious.  Nothing ever is with MSYS name-mangling.

> > But I really suggest not to use MSYS tools from Emacs.  There are
> > native (MinGW) ports available.
> >
> *** But msys gives me my unix environment.  Are you saying install full
> Cygwin?  Or just remove my %SHELL% env var?

What exactly do you mean by "unix environment" in this context?  Why
do you need to set SHELL to point to the MSYS Bash when you are
working in Emacs?  Do you actually want the shell (and if so, for what
purposes), or do you want the Unix utilities?  If the latter, there
are natively compiled ports of those utilities, just install and use
them.