Re: Ordered font preferences

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Ordered font preferences
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 17:48:52 +0200

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your reply.

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> When I insert a unicode character that my main font doesn't feature
>> Emacs uses another font to display it.  However, I'm not happy with
>> the "randomness" of the choice of the font, as it often messes up the
>> height of the line, uses too small symbols, etc.
>
> I use the unicode-fonts[1] package by Roland Walker, but am also
> interested in a more lightweight alternative. This one adds a
> considerable delay to Emacs startup, in my configuration at least.

Yeah, I also get notable delay in start-up speed when loading fonts.
Which is why I just do (setq font-use-system-font t) now.

> unicode-fonts allows to specify the preferred font by Unicode block,
> in a relatively friendly Customize UI. This is not exactly what you
> want but way less tedious than specifying ranges.

Yeah, it seems a bit better in that regard.  But I'm not sure exactly
which glyphs are covered in my preferred font (and it may be updated)
so I'd rather not specify anything like this.

–Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?