Re: [Gnus] persistent marks

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnus] persistent marks
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:39:53 +0100

ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com> writes:

> (setq gnus-parameters '((".*" (display . all))))

Aha, cool!

> With this setting entering the group is kind of slow.

Really? You have that many articles? Just generating a
summary shouldn't be that expensive, I think.

> Is there something else I can turn off to speed it up?
> Maybe I could mark most of them dormant and send them
> to a cache, but then it will probably get out of sync
> with slrnpull's cache which is where the articles are
> actually received from the net.  If they are expired
> in the spool, will they expire in the gnus cache?

I don't know, I never did this and besides I never have
that many articles to make a summary of, anyway. (Those
may be connected, of course.) The only thing I can think
of is this line

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U %3{%I%a%} %1{%s%}\n")

in your init file. Use C-h v on that variable to find
out what you have, and what those characters mean. One
would suspect a less complicated summary is faster to
generate, but even that is a longshot because I think
even a "complicated" summary should be fast to generate
on modern computers.

> I'll give it a try and report back here if everything
> goes well.

Yes! And you may report back even if it doesn't... :)

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573