Re: Reserved keymap not reserved anymore?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Reserved keymap not reserved anymore?
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:32:04 -0500

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 13:14 -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> > It used to be that the keymap C-c <letter> was reserved (documented
> > to be so in the Emacs manual) for user customizations, so I could be
> > sure that if I set a key in that map, other modes would not conflict
> > with it.
> >
> > However I just went looking in the Emacs 24 manual and I can't find
> > any reference to this reservation there.
> >
> > Was it removed?  Is there a new one?  Is there some new facility
> > which means it's not needed as much anymore?
>
> It is in the Elisp manual, node `Key Binding Conventions', not the
> Emacs manual.  I don't think it was ever in the Emacs manual.

Thanks for the pointer.

It used to be in the Emacs manual though; I found this:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/emacs/html_node/emacs_492.html

That's the Emacs 21.2 manual.  See the last paragraph.

That same "Keymaps" section appears in the current Emacs manual but it's
been largely rewritten, and that section no longer appears.

Cheers!