Re: interactive interface to supply variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: interactive interface to supply variables
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:42:20 +0100

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I'm still using Emacs 22.x. In this version, the "v"
> specification reads any variable for which
> user-variable-p is true:
>
> (1) the first character of its documentation is `*' ...
>
> Have they removed clause (1) in your version? If not,
> give your variable a doc string beginning with "*".

Again, that isn't something that would solve anything
because the purpose is to have the help function work
on *all* variables, not just those that are prepared in
this way or the other. In practice, when I am to use
the defun, this can of course never be expected!

> describe-variable uses a custom interactive
> specification. It accepts any symbol that has a
> binding or has a documentation string. If you want
> this more liberal prompt, you'll probably have to
> copy the code.

Yes, I will check that out after we have reached
somewhere sensible with this.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573