Re: obarray

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: obarray
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:15:35 +0100

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > The last line easier without cl'ish setf:
> >
> >    (set uninterned-symbol 'bar)
>
> CL or not, I get the same situation (what I can see),
> the symbol *does* end up in obarray, and that second
> part (setf or set) - what is that supposed to do? What
> I can see it doesn't change the value,

(symbol-value uninterned-symbol)

==> bar

Note that we are not speaking about the symbol uninterned-symbol, which
is in obarray, but about its value, which is another symbol that is not
in obarray, has name "foo", and now a value of bar.  We made that
uninterned symbol the value of another interned symbol because we can't
refer to an uninterned symbol directly in a program.

> either with my defun or describe-variable (which I trust more), I get
> the argument to make-symbol.

Sorry, I didn't follow this part.

Regards,

Michael.