Re: how to set fonts for a language

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: how to set fonts for a language
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:12:33 +0530

François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> BTW (as you use Tamil): do you some fonts for grantha?

Grantha is mostly used by scholars.  I am a layman and I know nothing
about it.  (However, I have seen the script used in real life)

> I found one (e-grantamil) but the character codes use bengali
> unicode....

> Do you know if grantha has been forgotten by the unicode consortium?

If you follow this link the latest version is at 6.3.0

    http://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/

In 7.0 version, I do see GRANTHA letters in the 11300-11374 range.

   http://www.unicode.org/Public/7.0.0/ucd/UnicodeData-7.0.0d14.txt

Btw, the yet-to-be-released Emacs-24.4 uses codepoints from the
following document (as on 2012.04.07)

   http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

So Emacs will not definitely know GRANTHA codes by name...