Slow paste

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Slow paste
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:52:19 -0600

Hi,

I think I finally have enough info to ask a decent question.  This is quasi a
bug report but I'm starting off here.

I've mentioned this before.  I have a Mac (10.8.5) running JollysFastVNC (1.48)
viewing a RealVNC server (5.0.1) on AIX (6.1 TL08 SP03) running emacs (24.3).

I believe it started when emacs 24 was being developed but I'm not sure.  I
know the issue existed in 24.2 and did not exist in emacs 23 that I was using
but I don't recall which subversion that was.

I've turned on TRACE_SELECTION in xselect.c and I've also duplicated those
macros in keyboard.c and process.c.  When I start emacs -q I get this output:

10748140: get_input_pending returning 0
10748140: last check: read_kdb=-1 NILP(wait_for_cell):1
10748140: get_input_pending returning 0
10748140: no_avail:0
10748140: pselect 2

followed by a half second pause.  This is the normal polling of the input (I
guess its normal).  I go to a Mac window, select some text, then hit command-C
to copy it into the cut buffer, then select the VNC window (where emacs is
already the active window) and hit control-Y to paste.

I get:

10748140: get_input_pending returning 1
10748140: get_input_pending returning 1
10748140: Get selection UTF8_STRING, type _EMACS_TMP_
10748140:   Start waiting 5 secs for SelectionNotify
10748140: last check: read_kdb=0 NILP(wait_for_cell):0
10748140: Received SelectionNotify
10748140: get_input_pending returning 0
10748140: no_avail:0
10748140: pselect 2

followed by a 5 second pause, then I get

10748140:   Got event = 1
10748140: Reading selection data
10748140: Read 7 bytes from property _EMACS_TMP_
10748140:   Delete property _EMACS_TMP_

and then I see the text show up in the emacs window.  I *think* what is "wrong"
here is in this case, get_input_pending is actually pulling the text out and
via the SelectionNotify handler placing the text into reading_selection_reply
but then returns zero because, at that point in time, there is no input to be
read.  Thus this if test, is not true:

      if ((read_kbd || !NILP (wait_for_cell))
          && detect_input_pending ())

I'm thinking that after detect_input_pending is called in
wait_reading_process_output, another two lines like this:

      if (! NILP (wait_for_cell) && ! NILP (XCAR (wait_for_cell)))
        break;

should be added before the if (!no_avail) line (around line 4612 in the copy I
am looking at.

I made this change in my copy and so far, it seems to work.

Perry Smith