Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:23:19 +0200

[Let's not omit help-gnu-emacs from the addressees, ok?]

> From: Mickey Ferguson <Mickey.Ferguson@cassidiancommunications.com>
> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 21:20:03 +0000
>
> Eli, thank you for your reply.  That was a good starting point.  First, I
> added a message to display when my function runs.  Then I tried adding it to
> after-init-hook.  Didn't see the message.  I changed it to
> emacs-startup-hook.  I now see the message ("Ran align-window-right"), but it
> still doesn't move the window.  I also tried changing it from
> emacs-startup-hook to window-setup-hook, and again, it displays the message,
> indicating that it ran, but the window remains unmoved.

Why don't you try doing this by modifying frame parameters (via
add-to-list) instead?  This is how I set the position and dimensions
of my frame in my .emacs:

  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 0))
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 140))
  (add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist '(height . 52))
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 50))

I understand that in your case the numbers will have to be computed
first, but that's just a minor variation, I think.