Re: How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IM

From: William G Gardella
Subject: Re: How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IMAP server)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 02:49:46 +0000

nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:

> James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Well done because I found Gnus difficult to set up... and gave up.
>
> As far as using it is a mail client I gave up too (temporarily) the
> first time around. But after using it as a newsreader essentially as it
> came out of the box for several months, and gradually tweaking it to my
> liking, when I revisited using it as a mail client this month, things
> seemed an awful lot easier than they did back in the summer.
>
> (I'm not done yet though. The next challenge is outbound mail -- setting
> it up to let me choose between multiple smtp servers.)

You may find `gnus-posting-styles' and the "X-Message-SMTP-Method:" header
(which gnus and message-mode use to hint to smtpmail.el which
mailserver to use) useful for configuring multiple SMTP accounts.  This
renders unnecessary some of the complex hacks on the emacswiki.

Alternatively, you could yse a userspace sendmail-replacement helper
binary, such as msmtp, which is smart enough to use the "From:" header as
a hint of which smtp server to use, and then just configure
`message-send-mail-function' and `sendmail-program' appropriately to use
this binary.

--
Best,
WGG