Re: Writing source code with Unicode characters

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Writing source code with Unicode characters
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 21:38:44 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> I'll like to experiment with using Unicode on source code (λ instead of
> lambda, etc) but it seems quite inconvenient to insert those chars with
> C-x 8 RET. Org-mode has the capability of displaying λ when you type
> \lambda, but that's just a display replacement, the raw text still is
> \lambda.
>
> What can I use to make more convenient the insertion of Unicode chars?
> (I'm mostly interested on Greek letters and other math-related symbols)

Drew:

Thanks but that's not quite the thing I'm looking for. It is good when
you need to write a few unicode chars and wish to save a few keystrokes
by not invoking C-x 8 RET <name>, but not so convenient when you are
interested on quickly typing unicode chars on a similar way you type
ordinary text, which would require setting quite a few keybindings and
it would not be an advantage over binding the key sequences to
(insert-char <the-char-itself>).

Eli:

That's very nice and something I'll would use if there is not something
better.

Göktuğ Kayaalp:

That's the best approach so far, IMHO. Just before reading your
exactly that. As you demonstrated, the functionality is quite easy to
implement. Instead of using just the two last chars, we can use
(thing-at-point 'symbol) and then we can map (a -> \alpha), (and ->
logical symbol and), etc

Thanks so much to all.