Re: Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement

From: Raimund Steger
Subject: Re: Emacs highlighted region expanding with scrollbar movement
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:12:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:38:48 +0100 From: Andreas Röhler
<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>

Am 22.02.2014 12:46, schrieb Raimund Steger:
Hi,

I've only recently upgraded to Emacs 24 (GNU Emacs 24.3.1
(i386-pc-solaris2.11, Motif Version 2.1.0)). Before, I used Emacs
22 for the most part, but also Emacs 23 (briefly) in some
environments.

I noticed that apparently starting with Emacs 23, the highlighted
region behaves differently when dragging the scrollbar handle
with the mouse. As the highlighted region moves out of the
visible area of the window, the highlighting is suddenly expanded
to follow the point. This means it is not possible anymore to
leave something highlighted and pan around in the file at the
same time.

I have transient-mark-mode turned off, but changing its value
does not change the described behavior. Also, it is reproducible
with 'emacs -Q' and seems to happen for GTK builds as well.
[...]

May confirm this behavior with Emacs 24.3.50.1. of 2013-07-06

That's true, but I also see the same behavior in Emacs 22.1, so I'm
not sure what change in behavior is being reported here.  I don't
think this changed at all, and couldn't (see below).

To clarify what change I'm seeing: It is true that the point has always
moved along to stay in the visible area of the window. However, somehow
the highlighted area (and X selection) hasn't, at least not in my old Emacs 22 here (GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-pc-solaris2.10, Motif Version 2.1.0)).

-Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs@mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs@interface-ag.de>