Re: Abbrev expansion after @?

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Abbrev expansion after @?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:36:55 +0100

"K.P. Huang" <kphuanghk@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like, say, "meo" to expand to "my.email.org" after "@".
>>
>> So for any arbitrary "user"
>>
>>   user@meo
>>
>> would expand to
>>
>>   user@my.email.org
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
> That's possible by M-'  abbrev-prefix-mark
>
> Type user@  then M-' , it will become user@-,  type meo follow by, it will
> expand in the way you want.
>
> It has been clearly stated in the documentation (info "(emacs) abbrevs"),
>  at menu "Controlling Abbrev Expansion". HTH.

Thanks for the pointer to the documentation.

This works expect for expansion in the address fields in Gnus (which is
where I would like expansion following @ to work).  In this case
expansion just doesn't happen, with or without a prefix.

Maybe someone on the in the Gnus newsgroup can enlighten me.  I assume
it is some sort of conflict with the regular Gnus magic which expands
addresses out the BBDB.

Cheers,

Loris