Re: Character repeation detection

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Character repeation detection
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 16:46:47 +0000 (UTC)

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Here is a quick one that checks for 2 characters in a row.
>
> Are you sure you don't want flyspell-mode and only this. What is your
> usecase.  Why would you want this?

I want to use it as a hotkey.

It occured to me it's very unusual to type the same character 3
times in a row. Two can occur in words, but 3 practically never.

Therefore it could be used as a single key hotkey in text buffers
where otherwise you use the characters to type.

For example, I want to invoke occur. I press o and keep it pressed.
After auto repeat types 3 o characters this function kicks in, removes
the 3 typed Os from the buffer, removes the additional Os from the
keyboard buffer (if I kept it pressed for two long) and calls occur.

It seems to me it would be more convenient than typing multikey
hotkeys and it would give lots of new free bindings in addition to
the existing ones.