Re: setting the mode of a buffer

From: lee
Subject: Re: setting the mode of a buffer
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:12:56 +0100

>> Reevaluating a defcustom will normally reset the value of the variable,
>> so there's no need to unload and reload the file.
>
> C-h f defcustom
>
>    [...]
>    :initialize
>       VALUE should be a function used to initialize the
>       variable.  It takes two arguments, the symbol and value
>       given in the `defcustom' call.  The default is
>       `custom-initialize-reset'.
>    [...]
>
> C-h f custom-initialize-reset
>
>    [...]
>    The value is either the symbol's current value
>     (as obtained using the `:get' function), if any,
>    [...]
>
> So, no, re-evaluating a defcustom will typically leave the variable at its
> old value.
>
> M-: (progn (defcustom sm-t 1 "hhaha") (defcustom sm-t 2 "hhaha") sm-t) RET
>
> returns 1, not 2.  IOW, it works more like defvar than like defconst.

Awesome --- it means I just have to do it right and use functions to set
up things and don`t need to unload the mode anymore :)

I got this mode from somewhere quite a while ago, and I think it isn`t
done right.  There isn`t anything to disable it, either.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.