Re: small emacs (94k in exe), why not java

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: small emacs (94k in exe), why not java
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:40:45 +0000

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> I have a small 94K version of emacs for devices where the full install isn't
> needed. It even works in msdos generic (ie using terminal instead of
> monitor). QUestion is, why hasn't someone compiled a java version of this?  I
> have seen some stuff about an emacs in kava for the net.. but it doesn't seem
> to work.. for most uses "on the road", the 94k version is fine

I'm not sure I follow. Emacs is written in C so you can't just
re-compile it for Java.

OTOH if what you are looking for is a lightweight Emacs-a-like for
embedded devices you could look at Zile
(http://www.gnu.org/software/zile/) which I've installed on a number of
embedded platforms as an adjunct to vi.

--