Re: customising a theme?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: customising a theme?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:37:37 +0200

Hi Sharon,

    Sharon> During my time working with emacs I have tried many themes
    Sharon> to find my 'ideal theme', which sometimes seems to change
    Sharon> almost everyday. Currently, it is "firebelly", except it has
    Sharon> several shortcomings -

Same for me.  I'm also stuck to it since it appeared in Melpa.

    Sharon>  * when you highlight text, it is unreadable due to it being
    Sharon> the same colour as the background, so it is very hard to
    Sharon> highlight anything.  * TODO items with *** are very
    Sharon> indistinct, so faded that it is almost the same colour as
    Sharon> the background.  * anything that is commented out is
    Sharon> extremely dim and faded, and difficult to read.

    Sharon> I use the following key-bindings to help in choosing and
    Sharon> disabling a theme - (global-set-key (kbd "<f11>")
    Sharon> 'disable-theme) (global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'load-theme)

    Sharon> How then can I use this theme with its shortcomings? Is
    Sharon> there a better theme with similar properties?

The readability much depends on your monitor.  For me, everything is
readable, although I find it irritating that variables are even "more
faded" than comments.

Anyway, why don't you just contact the author (the best way would
probably be an github issue)?

About customizing: AFAICT you can't use the customize interface to
customize any custom theme (which makes sense since these themes are
already sets of customizations).

But the defining files are just normal elisp files - in our case,
"firebelly-theme.el".  You can just edit it - it's very easy to read -
or better make your own copy of the theme and put it somewhere in your
`load-path'.

Regards,

Michael.