Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:17:20 +0200

> People use Emacs differently, learn things
> differently, have different needs, and have different
> preferences.

Absolutely - people and situations are unique. But
people and situations are also too a much higher degree
*the same*. Hockey teams today would obliterate the
starts of the 50s, and this is because they have a
tenfolded dose of training, and training that is much
better, not due to God-given talent or smarts, but due
to the collective experience from hockey clubs all
around the world of what works - and note, what works
*in general*.

On the other hand, you should never be afraid to try
new things, to experiment. It is just that is a long
and painful and slow road, and it is easy to get
disheartened and simply quit somewhere along the
way. But with time and determination, that works as
well.

I guess what works in general (paragraph 1) is
indispensable for the common, basic (and very
important) stuff; at a somewhat higher level (or in
stages) you might want to do paragraph 2 and get
individualistic (in a positive sense) and creative
about it.

Put it this way: I'm sure young Timudjin killed
countless of foes on the steppe, foes that were unique,
and in situations that were unique. But the method was
always the same: with a bow, from the horseback. And
why did the method work? Because of skills, acquired
at home, training with his brothers, and on the
battlefield, taking on bigger and bigger opponents.

Emacs is neither hockey or ancient Mongolia, but other
than that, it is the same things at work.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573