Re: How to get Gnus to send multiple emails

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to get Gnus to send multiple emails
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:29:06 +0200

phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> will probably not work, but
>>
>>   To: a@y.example, b@y.example, c@y.example
>
> My experience is that a lot of mailing lists will bounce these, to try
> and stop spam. Basically, To: has to be singular and only contain the
> mailing list.

Ok.

>> will do the trick.  And if you don't want the receipients to see each
>> other's address, then use
>>
>>   Bcc: a@y.example, b@y.example, c@y.example
>>
>> instead.
>
> And this also, because the To: field isn't correct.

The To: field isn't required.  I've just sent a test mail with no To:
field and only

  Bcc: my@addr1.invalid, my@addr2.invalid

and the mail was delivered correctly to both addresses.  But of course,
there might be mailing lists that are configured to bounce messages
without To:.

> I think that the email has to be sent independently several times with
> different To: fields.

Ok, then this should do the trick:

(defun th/message-send-and-exit-multiple (addresses)
  (interactive (list (split-string (read-string "Adresses: ")
                                   "," t "[[:space:]]")))
  (while addresses
    (let ((address (car addresses)))
      (setq addresses (cdr addresses))
      (message-remove-header "To")
      (message-add-header (format "To: %s" address))
      (if addresses
          (message-send)
        (message-send-and-exit)))))

Just write your mail without inserting anything in To:, then do `M-x
th/message-send-and-exit-multiple' instead of `C-c C-c'.  You'll be
prompted for a list of email addresses in the format

  a@x.y, b@x.y, c@x.y, d@x.y

After providing that, it'll send 4 separate mails, one to each address.

Bye,
Tassilo