Re: one key-press to comment out lines of code?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: one key-press to comment out lines of code?
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 16:05:21 +0200

Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:

> On your keyboard, perhaps.  Mine's set up a bit
> differently (the "Windows" keys are the Meta keys,
> the Alt keys, on either side of the space bar, are
> the Alt keys.)

Interesting. I have a keyboard from Sun. Turns out, it
says "Alt" on the Meta key, but it has the Meta key
behaviour and I don't remember configuring that.

> This makes folding my thumbs a bit awkward.  Also,
> since I often run Emacs in a terminal window, I wind
> up using the escape key as the Meta prefix.

I run Emacs in a Linux VT (a tty, or "the console") but
the Meta key works fine. As for Esc I have that to the
left of F1 (in the normal place I would assume) so that
would be a pain having to move the left hand from
typing position all the time. I think (and someone on
this list confirmed this with a cool image) that the
Esc solution for Emacs has historical roots when the
paleo-keyboards had Esc somewhere else. (Get back to
you on this when I find that old post.) But perhaps you
re-routed Esc for Caps Lock?

> I'm happy with my slightly-less-efficient method.
> You've got your more-efficient method, and you're
> obviously happy with it.  As has been said, there's
> more than one way to stack a cat.

Absolutely positively.

--
underground experts united: